Rated 2.2 out of 5 by 5
Rated 1 out of 5 by cmtexas Stay Away...Far Away
The design is nice and the controls are simple. That's where the good things stop.
1. The bags for this unit are very non-standard and you have to buy very special bags at $20 for 12 bags of plastic.
2. The ram stays down in certain modes by design. One problem, you can still open the door and people have a habit of not opening the door and stuffing trash in with the ram down. Major problem. If the unit senses trash in between the ram, it will not cycle. If it does, it will stop short of getting to the top, and you are screwed. There is no way to complete the cycle and you have to send it off for service.
3. On issue 2...you can stuff trash in with the ram down. See issue 2.
4. No foot pedal for opening the trash like every other trash compactor on earth. My wife hates it and now hates that I chose it.
5. No way to secure the compactor to the cabinet frame. So, the compactor slides backwards every time you shut its door.
I cannot believe people gave this a good review and I can't believe I believed them.
October 30, 2013
Rated 3 out of 5 by wizard47 wouldn't buy a trash compactor next time
like: looks, and storage compartment for bags
features: don't use the programmable feature or auto delay and don't know why i would use them.
value: i never would have purchased if i knew the cost at the time.
performance: 1, now is the 3rd time the compactor has stopped working and emits a ticking sound continuously until it is unplugged. but, when i plugged it back in this time it was still ticking. i unplugged it and haven't used it a couple of months. 2. order control mechanism doesn't rotate the deodorizer. but i only use for recycle anyway.
overall rating: disregarding these 2 problems it works great and cuts down on our recycle volume.
August 22, 2013
Rated 1 out of 5 by wingit Very disappointed
I installed this product in a our kitchen remodel along with other appliances. In the 70 days that I put up with this compactor it worked only 6 days and no more than 2 consecutively. The limit switches would not stay set and the service technician took the product back to the shop twice. After a 12 day stay in the shop the unit came back and worked less than a full day. I finally threw in the towel and gave the compactor to the Godwill and bought another brand for which I've had zero problems.
August 21, 2013
Rated 3 out of 5 by Mbarry1961 Great Features - Poor Reliability
The 15XESS has a great feature set and performs well. That being said, we are on our third machine in three years. The first corroded due to a Chlorine compound in the odor control disk. The second had a catastrophic failure of the compaction gearing that the appliance repair could not repair.
Your organization has replaced the prior two without issue.
August 21, 2013
Rated 3 out of 5 by Cmzaustin Good, but not perfect
Overall, I like this unit, however there area couple of minor things. I love that I could put the same cabinet fronts as the rest of the kitchen, making it nearly invisible. However, I have to really slam the door shut in order for the unit to recognize that it is closed. Frequently I get up in the morning to find that the trash did not compact, because the unit thought the door was ajar.
I love the timer feature. When I do get the door closed right, the unit compacts at 3 am for a few hours, then the compactor relaxes by the time I get up in the morning. I never find myself unable to put trash in because I am waiting for the compactor arm to retract.
I like the feature of the odor destroying disc. However, the scent of that disc is itself offensive.
I wish it had holes in the case for me to affix it to the cabinet. The unit slides around, and I reposition it often, probably because I have to slam the door each time.
Also, the timer is great, but it would be nice it if had a capacitor or battery do that it could retain settings when the power goes out. And if it knew daylight savings time changes, that would be cool too. I have to reprogram it at least twice a year and whenever the power goes out.
I like that it has a cubby for storing bags, and the bags are easy to change.
August 21, 2013