Designed to provide the best technology to equalize pressure between indoors and outdoors, while providing effective ventilation for a cleaner, healthier home. Eliminate gases, smoke or particulates generated from naturally vented combustion devices like a fireplace or water heater. Only BROAN offers such a complete and simple solution for automatic and controlled fresh air into the home every time you turn on the range hood! This is an interlocked, synchronized system that installs easily and requires only low voltage wiring to the sensor. Perfect for new construction or retrofit into an existing home.
- BROAN® interlocked make-up air dampers provide outside air when required to keep the air in the home fresher by allowing the range hood to operate at optimum levels
- Universal design works with any BROAN® range hood to balance indoor air pressure by providing interlocked make-up air without requiring a direct wire connection between the range hood and the damper. Instead a sensor is attached to the exhaust duct to detect if the range hood is operating
- Slave dampers (MD6S, MD8S or MD10S) are interlocked to the main automatic or universal make-up air damper and open in unison for synchronized operation. They close, along with the main damper, as soon as the range hood is powered off. Slave dampers can be “ganged” together to provide a cost effective means to provide for higher volumes of make-up air
- Interlocked make-up air damper systems meet IRC Code requirements for make-up air with range hoods over 400 CFM
- Interlocked make-up air systems avoid wasted energy associated with barometric solutions and do not let unwanted air into the home during heating or cooling activities so air pressure is equalized for a well-balanced environment
- Fresh air wall caps are required for use with Make-Up Air Dampers
Broan Universal Make-Up Air Damper
Residential Kitchen Make-Up Air Webinar September 24, 2013
Cleaning a Range Hood Filter – Danny Lipford
Proper Use of a Range Hood- Danny Lipford
How to Ventilate the Whole House
Proper Ventilation Equals A Healthy Home - Danny Lipford
What are CFMs? - Danny Lipford
Range Hood & Ventilation Fans Tip - Check Terminations of Ventilation Ducts
How do I determine the size of the range hood I need? - Danny Lipford
Is there any regular maintenance needed on my range hood? - Danny Lipford
Does an Over the Range microwave provide adequate Capture? - Danny Lipford
Give Your Kitchen a 72-Hour Facelift with Danny Lipford
Island Range Hoods for Kitchen Upgrades - Danny Lipford
Importance of a Range Hood for Indoor Air Quality
Kitchen Renovation Includes Adding Range Hood with Danny Lipford
Can I install a range hood without venting it? - Danny Lipford
Keep your kitchen clear of smoke and fumes. Don't neglect ventilation when remodeling your kitchen, ConsumerReports.org
Cook with a gas stove? You could be breathing polluted air, study says, Los Angeles Times
Using gas stoves with no hood may expose many to air pollution, UPI Health News
Breathe Easy – What you need to know to ensure proper home ventilation, K+BB
5 Kitchen Renovation Goofs To Avoid, Consumer Reports
Clearing the Air, K+BB
The Kitchen as a Pollution Hazard
Fixing Stove Hoods To Keep Pollution Out Of The Kitchen
Range Hood Make-Up Air Specifier
Code compliant make-up air solutions for domestic range hoods in family dwelling units
To help you determine your customers’ make-up air needs, Broan-NuTone has developed this on-line tool. With our Make-Up Air Specifier you can be confident that the products you choose will meet the latest codes and regulations and satisfy the home’s needs. Use this tool to make your specification job easier.
Let’s get started by selecting the state where the dwelling unit will be located. CLICK HERE
MD10TU is rated
Rated 3 out of
MD10TU used in make-up air duct for 800 CFM Broan in-line Vent Fan
Found a single MD10TU and 10 inch duct without a fan behind it insufficient to adequately compensate for an 800 CMF vent fan.
The damper stays in the open, (powered) position with the vent fan off with no back draft issue present. A replacement pressure switch in on the way.
Date published: 2016-08-26
What are Broan's specifications for ducting the Automatic Make-up Air Damper
What type of duct, Metal or Flex?
Thank you for your question on the model MD10TU make up air damper. It is always better to use rigid duct work. Please contact the Technical Service Department at 800-637-1453 for further assistance.
Date published: 2014-06-02
Can I use this with a with a diff. manufacturers range hood?
Its actually 2 questions, I already have a Thermador hood, can I use your "universal" MD10TU?
Will it work above a 90 degree bend? Or should it be mounted in the bend?
Thank you for your question on the model MD10TU. This model was manufactured and tested for use only with the Broan model range hoods. We do not know if this would work properly with other brands, but as longs as the specs are followed, you should be fine. There are no restrictions when installing the damper. You will want to install the make-up air damper as close to the hood outlet as possible. Please see the installation instructions for this model for more installation information. Our Technical Support can be reached at 800-637-1453 for more assistance.
Date published: 2016-10-12
Where is the installation illustration for a home that does not have ducts?
In the regular installation instructions it says that there is an installation illustration for homes that do not have ducts. I am having trouble finding it, and would appreciate some direction.
Thank you for your question on the model MD10TU make-up air damper. Please contact the Technical Service Department at 800-637-1453 for assistance.
Date published: 2016-07-13
I need a wall cap for a MD10. Recommendation.
Thank you for your question on the model MD10TU make-up air damper. We recommend using the fresh air inlet model 610FA for the 10" dampers.
Date published: 2014-06-04