Providing make-up air for exhaust devices is easy, controlling it is not – until now. BROAN® Directwire Make-Up Air Dampers, when interlocked with slave dampers, open in unison to provide synchronized operation for kitchen, bath and whole house ventilation products. The MD10T is wired to the transformer, using low voltage wiring, which signals the damper to open and close while the range hood is in operation. The intelligent design options ensure optimum performance in a variety of installations and applications.
- Interlocked make-up air dampers provide make-up air when called for to keep the home comfortable by allowing the range hood to operate at optimum levels
- Directwire design works with select BROAN® range hoods to balance indoor air pressure by providing interlocked make-up air; damper opens automatically when fans are activated
- Slave dampers (MD6S, MD8S or MD10S) are interlocked to the main automatic or universal make-up air damper and open in unison for synchronized operation. They close, along with the main damper, as soon as the range hood is powered off. Slave dampers can be “ganged” together to provide a cost effective means to provide for higher volumes of make-up air
- Interlocked make-up air damper systems meet IRC Code requirements for make-up air with range hoods over 400 CFM
- Interlocked make-up air systems avoid wasted energy associated with barometric solutions and do not let unwanted air into the home during heating or cooling activities so air pressure is equalized for a well-balanced environment
- Fresh air wall caps are required for use with Make-Up Air Dampers
Broan Universal Make-Up Air Damper
Residential Kitchen Make-Up Air Webinar September 24, 2013
Cleaning a Range Hood Filter – Danny Lipford
Proper Use of a Range Hood- Danny Lipford
How to Ventilate the Whole House
Proper Ventilation Equals A Healthy Home - Danny Lipford
What are CFMs? - Danny Lipford
Range Hood & Ventilation Fans Tip - Check Terminations of Ventilation Ducts
How do I determine the size of the range hood I need? - Danny Lipford
Is there any regular maintenance needed on my range hood? - Danny Lipford
Does an Over the Range microwave provide adequate Capture? - Danny Lipford
Give Your Kitchen a 72-Hour Facelift with Danny Lipford
Island Range Hoods for Kitchen Upgrades - Danny Lipford
Importance of a Range Hood for Indoor Air Quality
Kitchen Renovation Includes Adding Range Hood with Danny Lipford
Can I install a range hood without venting it? - Danny Lipford
Keep your kitchen clear of smoke and fumes. Don't neglect ventilation when remodeling your kitchen, ConsumerReports.org
Cook with a gas stove? You could be breathing polluted air, study says, Los Angeles Times
Using gas stoves with no hood may expose many to air pollution, UPI Health News
Breathe Easy – What you need to know to ensure proper home ventilation, K+BB
5 Kitchen Renovation Goofs To Avoid, Consumer Reports
Clearing the Air, K+BB
The Kitchen as a Pollution Hazard
Fixing Stove Hoods To Keep Pollution Out Of The Kitchen
Range Hood Make-Up Air Specifier
Code compliant make-up air solutions for domestic range hoods in family dwelling units
To help you determine your customers’ make-up air needs, Broan-NuTone has developed this on-line tool. With our Make-Up Air Specifier you can be confident that the products you choose will meet the latest codes and regulations and satisfy the home’s needs. Use this tool to make your specification job easier.
Let’s get started by selecting the state where the dwelling unit will be located. CLICK HERE
will this work with a CP57IQT, does the CP57 have smart sense?
Thank you for your question on the model MD10T make up air damper and the CP57IQT range hood. Please contact the Technical Service Department at 800-637-1453 for assistance.
Date published: 2014-12-22
Do I need a fan to supply "new air" into the house?
I understand that the 10" automatic makeup damper opens to replace vented air with "new air". Is a supply air fan needed to force air in the house? Is the return air forced in? If so, where does the forced air comes from?
Thank you for your question on the model MD10T make-up air damper. The MD10T would not need a fan connected to it. The negative pressure inside the house would bring the air in. Please contact the Technical Service Department at 800-637-1453 if you need further assistance.
Date published: 2015-09-01
Will this work with RMIP 33 with external blower or do I need the Pressure control senosr that comes with the MD10TU?
Thank you for your question on the model MD10T make up air damper. To use this item with the RMIP33, you would also need to use the pressure control sensor that comes with the MD10TU.
Date published: 2014-05-23
would this work with a Wolf pro hood-900-cfm
Thank you for your question on the model MD10T make-up air damper. The MD10T is compatible with Broan hoods only. The MD10TU is our universal make-up air damper and is compatible with any brand hood.
Date published: 2014-06-04