Providing make-up air for exhaust devices is easy, controlling it is not – until now. BROAN® Directwire Make-Up Air Dampers, when interlocked with slave dampers, open in unison to provide synchronized operation for kitchen, bath and whole house ventilation products. The MD6T is wired to the transformer, using low voltage wiring, which signals the damper to open and close while the range hood is in operation. The intelligent design options ensure optimum performance in a variety of installations and applications.
- Interlocked make-up air dampers provide make-up air when called for to keep the home comfortable by allowing the range hood to operate at optimum levels
- Directwire design works with select BROAN® range hoods to balance indoor air pressure by providing interlocked make-up air; damper opens automatically when the range hood is activated
- Slave dampers (MD6S or MD8S) are interlocked to the main automatic or universal make-up air damper and open in unison for synchronized operation. They close, along with the main damper, as soon as the range hood is powered off. Slave dampers can be “ganged” together to provide a cost effective means to provide for higher volumes of make-up air
- Interlocked make-up air damper systems meet IRC Code requirements for make-up air with range hoods over 400 CFM
- Interlocked make-up air systems avoid wasted energy associated with barometric solutions and do not let unwanted air into the home during heating or cooling activities so air pressure is equalized for a well-balanced environment
- Fresh air wall caps are required for use with Make-Up Air Dampers
Broan Universal Make-Up Air Damper
Residential Kitchen Make-Up Air Webinar September 24, 2013
Cleaning a Range Hood Filter – Danny Lipford
Proper Use of a Range Hood- Danny Lipford
How to Ventilate the Whole House
Proper Ventilation Equals A Healthy Home - Danny Lipford
What are CFMs? - Danny Lipford
Range Hood & Ventilation Fans Tip - Check Terminations of Ventilation Ducts
How do I determine the size of the range hood I need? - Danny Lipford
Is there any regular maintenance needed on my range hood? - Danny Lipford
Does an Over the Range microwave provide adequate Capture? - Danny Lipford
Give Your Kitchen a 72-Hour Facelift with Danny Lipford
Island Range Hoods for Kitchen Upgrades - Danny Lipford
Importance of a Range Hood for Indoor Air Quality
Kitchen Renovation Includes Adding Range Hood with Danny Lipford
Can I install a range hood without venting it? - Danny Lipford
Keep your kitchen clear of smoke and fumes. Don't neglect ventilation when remodeling your kitchen, ConsumerReports.org
Cook with a gas stove? You could be breathing polluted air, study says, Los Angeles Times
Using gas stoves with no hood may expose many to air pollution, UPI Health News
Breathe Easy – What you need to know to ensure proper home ventilation, K+BB
5 Kitchen Renovation Goofs To Avoid, Consumer Reports
Clearing the Air, K+BB
The Kitchen as a Pollution Hazard
Fixing Stove Hoods To Keep Pollution Out Of The Kitchen
Range Hood Make-Up Air Specifier
Code compliant make-up air solutions for domestic range hoods in family dwelling units
To help you determine your customers’ make-up air needs, Broan-NuTone has developed this on-line tool. With our Make-Up Air Specifier you can be confident that the products you choose will meet the latest codes and regulations and satisfy the home’s needs. Use this tool to make your specification job easier.
Let’s get started by selecting the state where the dwelling unit will be located. CLICK HERE
MD8T is rated
Rated 5 out of
8" Broan Damper
Bought this to be installed in the outside (makeup) air duct of our new home. We have a large range hood that required this damper be directly wired to the hood when turned on. Haven't moved in yet to try it but the product arrived quickly and seemingly in good condition.
Date published: 2016-10-31
Rated 5 out of
A great solution
Mass Building Code requires makeup air on Hoods greater than 400 cfm...I used the Broan damper with a pressure switch (you can purchase this combo) to operate the damper and it works fantastic. You simply place the pressure probe in your hood exhaust vent, the switch which is normally open, closes and completes the circuit to operate the damper. I will be using this on all my houses.
Date published: 2013-03-29
Can this product be used as a zone for a utility room using a light switch for open/close of damper?
Thank you for your question on the model MD8T automatic make-up air damper. This device is only designed to be used with compatible Broan exhaust fans or compatible Best or Broan range hoods.
Date published: 2013-10-23
What size register should be used with this damper and what size outlet do i need
range is E6060
Thank you for your question on the model MD8T make up air damper. The MD8T is designed to attach to 8” duct work. Please contact the Technical Service Department at 800-637-1453 for assistance.
Date published: 2014-11-10
What is the maximum volume of air that this unit will allow without an assist fan?
Thank you for your question on the model MD8T make up air damper. Please contact the Technical Service Department at 800-637-1453 for assistance.
Date published: 2015-07-13